It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Monday, September 1, 2014

Overcoming Phylloaphobia.....my journey conquering Baklava

Many many years ago I enjoyed my first piece of Baklava. OMG, it was such a wonderful triangle of sweet divine goodness!  There are as many recipe variations as there are legends about its origins many steeped in Muslim and Christian traditions.  I tend to favor the Greek versions. Over the years I dreamt about making it one day.  That didn't happen until finally, yesterday, I took the phyllo dough leap. 

You see, I had become fearful of phyllo, and suffered from phylloaphobia.   I would continue to buy these decadent wedges of gold at fine bakeries and coffee shops.  I came to believe only professional bakers could make this stuff, and handling it was way too stressful, and the end product would not turn out so you'd have a big pan of waste and disappointment.  Why we listen to this stuff in our head I don’t understand.  Why did it take me 40 years to face my phyllo-fears?!?  

Well let me tell you friends, FACE THOSE FEARS!!!  Yes, buttering the phyllo sheet was a bit scary at first but in the end, it was really simple to make, and a great reason never to go vegan (hey, we like butter).  Besides, those super thin phyllo layers bake up just fine even when they tear or break.

Here's what you need to gather........
9" x 13" pan, metal preferred
Pastry brush 
Sharp knife
Damp kitchen towel 
Measuring cups and spoons
Food processor or nut chopper


Ingredients……
1 - 16 ounce package Athens phyllo dough
1 pound/4 heaping cups chopped walnuts, pecans, almonds or pistachios (all or in combination)
1 tsp ground cinnamon 
1 cup real butter (I used salted)
1 cup water
1 cup white granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey

Thaw phyllo dough on counter for one hour (or overnight in refrigerator) before assembling. Carefully unroll dough flat on the plastic sheet in the package, keeping covered with a damp kitchen towel so it doesn't break or dry out. I ran a clean dishtowel in water then squeezed water out until it no longer dripped. 




Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Chop nuts finely in food processor. Mix in cinnamon, set aside.   Melt butter in small saucepan. Using a pastry brush thoroughly butter bottom and sides of 9 x 13 pan. (Hint....I found a toothpick worked nicely to separate the thin phyllo layers so they didn't tear).  Layer two sheets phyllo dough on bottom pan, then gently butter entire surface. Repeat two more times making a 6 sheets base. Sprinkle 3 T nuts on base. 






Repeat adding two sheets at a time, butter, 3 T nuts until you have 8 sheets left for the top.  You should run out of nuts about then too. Butter the last sheets two at a time.  Using a wet knife gently cut into triangles or squares before baking. Place pan on middle rack and bake for 50 minutes until golden brown.  

Meanwhile, bring sugar and water to a boil to dissolve sugar, reduce heat immediately and add vanilla and honey simmering for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately add honey syrup, carefully soaking each section.


I used a gravy ladle to control over soaking each section.



Don't wait for it to cool as the syrup soaks in best while hot. Cool at least an hour before serving.  Enjoy with a cup of hot tea or coffee for a real treat!  




No comments:

Post a Comment