It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Quilt As You Go.....or QAYG

I came home from retreat last fall with 10 ‘Buddy’ blocks from a block challenge we began the previous year.  Each of us distributed the same fabrics to each member; they in turn were to create a block using our fabrics plus fabrics from their stash based on our direction.  We left with a full year to complete the quilt, making sure we show up with a finish project next month.  Or that was the plan…..

I began to panic because somehow or other time slipped away and I hadn’t done a thing with those blocks since I tucked them away just before Christmas.  As soon as I got home I sewed two more blocks so I had 12 to work with.  Monday I saw the sand in the hour glass running out, so I got busy. 

This was a perfect project to test out the QAYG technique, or Quilt As You Go.  It allows you to machine quilt each block one at a time then attach them.  The tutorials and you tube videos made it sound super easy, each having their own ‘how to’ variations.  Well, they made it look a lot easier than it was.  First, several of the tutorials showed sashing that was not aligned, some off quite a bit.  I would need to figure out how to avoid this before I sewed a stitch.  Second, each of the blocks I received were off slightly, meaning they were over or undersized from 12.25” to 12.75” (instead of 12.5” exactly), or done on an angle that didn’t work for this layout.  But……here we go!

First here is the list of supplies I used:

1 – 12.5” square plastic template

1 – 45MM rotary cutter, with new blade (key!)

24” long quilter’s ruler

1 twin size Hobbs Heirloom wool batting (I liked the soft loft)

12 "Buddy" blocks

White fabric for backing/sashing

Dark Green for front sashing/binding

1 roll HEAT PRESS fusible batting tape

Elmer’s School Glue stick, disappearing purple (so you can see it until it dries)

Flat head pins

Scissors and threads


1.      Cut 1 - 14” squares of batting and 15” square backing for each block.  Layer quilt block, batting and backing in a sandwich, press.  Carefully pin, then machine quilt each as desired. Trim threads.  The top block may shrink from the machine quilting, but this will be covered by your sashing.

2.    CAREFULLY and precisely square up each block using the 12.5” square template.  Using the template ensures you have a perfect square each time which helps align and connect them as you go. After squaring, the batt/backing corners should match up and the side should align perfectly, regardless of the size variation in the initial blocks.  Take your time, as this step determines how successful your end result will be. 

3.     Lay out your blocks as you plan to assemble. 

4.    Cut enough 2” x full width strips from your front and back sashing fabrics to make 1” binding tape to connect your blocks.  There are several quick ways to do this….1) press using a binding tape tool if you have one, or 2) using 2 long pins, create a 1” channel on your ironing surface and pull your tape thru, leaving the iron in place so you can adjust as you pull.  This is very fast once you get the hang of it.  Set aside.  Use a pressing cloth underneath the iron if you're worried about scorching your surface.


5.     Next assemble one row of blocks at a time.  I connected three blocks, using two sashing strips.  Working with the blocks face up first, align and butt together as close as possible.  Carefully center a ¾” strip fusible heat press tape over the seam.  Press according to instructions. The photo shows the backside so its clearer.  Next run a line of purple school glue down the center of the fusible heat press tape then center the sashing piece on top, press to set.  The purple disappears once dry. Repeat on both seams then gently flip blocks over and repeat on back side. Carefully pin in place on the face, making sure to catch the bottom. Topstitch from the face side, catching both top and bottom sashing strips.  Trim threads.





6.    Once you have a row of blocks sewn, trim the excess sashing using your rotary cutter and ruler.  Make sure this line is perfectly straight, as you will be butting it up to another row. 
7.     Once you have two rows done, connect them using the same process.  BE SURE TO ALIGN YOUR BLOCKS/ROWS SO THE SASHINGS MATCH!  And so sorry for the unpleasant shadow on the right side......you should be looking at the connecting sashing and layout on the left anyway.


8.    Repeat these steps with each row until you have the entire quilt assembled. 

9.    To finish I made my favorite standard binding and finished as normal.  I know this would get easier the more I do it, but I’m pretty happy how it turned out.  The only down sides are 1) it doesn’t have a true border, but I could figure that out in the future, and 2) because of the variation in block sizes I lost some of my points.  Oh well, as a friend says…..if you can see that while driving by at 20 MPH, then you should change it!

No comments:

Post a Comment