It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

What do peppers, a rainy day and a bunch of orphan quilt blocks have in common?

Nothing really, I just needed a reason to share a picture I took of the wonderful peppers at the farmers market last week.  They were spectacular…such vibrant colors, all shiny and fresh from the field that I couldn’t resist.  The farmers market is always ‘eye candy’ for creative types, with all its color and texture.  Who can resist?!  I see a quilt in these colors, don't you?

 
But the orphan quilt blocks and a rainy day are connected.  Today was the perfect day to finally get them sewn together for a small quilt, perhaps for the local Neonatal unit.  Several years ago, I made two matching full size quilts for our twin beds.  I made them full size plus so they would hang over the sides without needing dust ruffles.  This made them harder to match each block placement EXACTLY, but it was well worth it.  They look great in the “Swans Island” guest room.  I ended up with a bunch of leftover blocks and made bed pillows. 
 

I still had left over blocks so today I got busy.  I reconfigured them into 4 triangle blocks instead of two.

 
Working from the design wall I pieced the new blocks and then rows together to make a 32” x 42” baby quilt top. 
 

I still have some left, and those will be made into coasters to sell at our church bazaar this fall.  I think I flushed out the last of them!  Either way, as I’ve said before……I’m sew happy when I can spend time in my studio!

No comments:

Post a Comment