It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Thursday, August 21, 2014

American Quilters Society Show.........


AQS Show Grand Rapids, Michigan, August 20-23, 2014

I have always loved the historical and tactile aspects of fabric, and the needle arts in general.  They provide a calming and healing component to our lives.  They bring such joy and fellowship.  Perhaps that’s why I spent 34 years of my career involved in textiles.  

Yesterday I spent my day with a life-long friend at the American Quilters Society show.  We volunteered to do bag check part of the day, but this left plenty of time to see the wide range of quilts and shop the many vendors.  Touching fabric became an integral part of the day.  I came home with three Kaffe Fassett florals for a Broderie Perse class project I am teaching this fall.

Attendance was quite steady while we were there, a good sign for the economy.  Three words come to mind to describe what is hot this year…..Swarovski Crystals, art quilts and heavy machine quilting and taking a back seat this year……traditional and hand quilting.  A special nod needs to go to the 120 foot long QUILT OF BELONGING,  a moving tribute originating from our Canadian neighbors to the north.  It’s inspiring to see the range of quilts, each of them a work of art worthy of our attention.  What inspired them?  What is their skill level?  What’s their next project? 

My heart still yearns for the sight of seeing ladies seated around a quilt frame, their quilt sandwich careful stretched taut needles threaded gliding lyrically in and out, over and under, painstakingly creating those perfectly sized quilt stitches.  Those days are becoming foggy memories, replaced by women standing at the massive long arm machine, working alone creating beautiful and perfectly matched stitches.  The support and relationships built off those earlier frames are replaced by technology, where the only relationship built is with the mechanization of the stitch, in many cases carried thru a cord from a computer to the fabric.

Shoppers spent good money on the latest patterns, templates and die cuts, speeding their process along in perfect harmony.  This makes me pause…..I think of my grandmother, cutting her templates from cereal boxes, hand piecing her perfection from the irregularity of these rudimentary tools.  How did these original quilters achieve such incredible results with such primitive tools?  It’s the same feeling I get when I consider how the pyramids were constructed.  Pure amazement!

It’s been said that fabric heals.  Yes, in the literal sense we have put bandages on wounds throughout time.  But fabrics or quilts in this case heal our spiritual aliments.  They sooth and comfort like nothing else.  When we tire we crawl into bedding. When we’re cold we grab a blanket or quilt. When we are sick we return to our bed and the comfort it provides.

I returned home filled with many ideas, quickly capturing the essence of each in my sketch book.  My studio is settled now, so there should be ample time to quilt as this fall and winter approach.  I have housework to attend to now, but afterwards I will settle in my studio chair, turn on some nice music, grab a quilting magazine and most importantly, wrap up in a nice quilt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment