It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Thursday, May 22, 2014

HERBS, RUNNERS, and LADDERS


Today was a busy day ‘crafting’ things.  To be more specific, I designed and constructed luxury table runners for a client’s shop in Chicago, plus I made herb garden stakes out of old ice tea spoons, and Gary finished making prototype quilt ladders we plan to sell.  Busy hands!  There is something so satisfying about having an idea, gathering up the tools you need then successfully bringing the ideas to fruition.  Not all days are like that, but ideas today went well.

HERB GARDEN STAKES…..not so long ago we shifted to whole foods, meaning natural unprocessed not the store.  Although I’d love a Whole Food in our area, the nearest one is three hours away. Along with cooking with whole foods came fresh herbs in my sun-filled kitchen.  Kind of ironic considering I’m not a green thumb, and in fact can’t keep silk flowers alive. Plants come here to die, not necessarily a quick and pain-free one either. But I digress. I wanted to remove the plant stakes that came with the plants replacing with some cleverly crafted way for others to identify them….okay, for me to until I’m sure I know which is which.  Yes, I can smell.  I just wanted something cutesy, and cheap. After lots of thinking and searching I decided to repurpose some old ice tea spoons, flattening and distressing them.  They turned out so cute.  See for yourself.  Maybe I’ll make a wind chime next!!! 



SKETCHING & SEWING……..Some of you have asked about the table runners I create for my 
Chicago customer.  Basically, they are a full service luxury high-end design business for the entire home, including custom upholstery and window treatments. I take whatever textiles and trims are leftover and design table runners from 48” to 144” long.  Sometimes I have very little to work with and sometimes fabrics are VERY difficult to work with, but that makes it challenging.  Not only does something of value come from this, but it keeps these scraps from the landfill.  Very environmental!  Here’s a sample of today’s labor!



QUILT LADDERS….while I was busy playing herb farmer and sewing runners, Gary finished up his two new prototypes.  He made the one on the far right a long time ago, but we made some enhancements. These are very useful, not just for displaying beautiful quilts, but for showcasing antique textiles, or hanging extra towels in guest rooms.  The ideas are limited only by our imagination.  We’re leaning (no pun intended) towards the design in the middle.


In the end, a satisfying day making things by hand, something out of nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment