It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Saturday, May 24, 2014

CALLING ALL COLORS...........

"Color is my day long obsession, joy, and torment."  Claude Monet

The other day someone asked me to describe ‘my colors’, or which colors are my favorites.  Geez, that should be easy enough, right?  Well, not so fast.  I love all shades of blue, and of course reds, and certainly yellows and gold, and don’t forget greens and browns, but then I don’t mind purples either even though they may be my least favorite.  And anyone that knows my wardrobe knows I love black.  I mean you can’t have too many pair of black pants. 

Now here’s where I come clean, sort of a confessional.  This is a snippet of my quilting fabrics, or as we quilters call ‘my stash’.  I always found this is an odd phrase.  To me, a stash was something of great value usually money stolen from a poorly supervised bank in an old western movie.  The robbers took the loot, rode off into the hills and stashed it somewhere safe until things died down as they made their getaway.  Okay, so maybe quilting stash makes sense given the ‘high value’ part and I even get the ‘for later’ part.  Just in case I need a color late on a Saturday night when my favorite quilt shop is closed.  Back to color…this is just a portion, there are more in another cupboard.  My fabrics cover the entire color wheel whether bright or muted, regardless of their design, with lots of blacks, whites and neutrals.


I continued thinking.  A nearby quilt rack showcases a bevy of Amish inspired quilts, lots of blacks peppered with a wide array of solids covering the breadth of the color wheel.


My next stop was “Birds of a feather” an original quilt design I developed awhile back.  It 
showcases my obsession for applique, and fun paper piecing with a wide range of brightly colored graphic designs against a black background.  One of my quilt BFF’s Janet did the lovely machine quilting.



As I finished looking around my home for color clues, I thought about which color I could not go a day without my only conclusion was….I love all colors, seriously.  I want my daily world to have all of them.  Naturally I have preferences depending on mood and time of year, but how can you not love all colors?  I can't say I have a favorite....it's like saying you have a favorite child, which we wouldn’t do. I’m very fortunate to surround myself with the richness and beauty of colors, and even more fortunate to have such a wide selection to pick from when auditioning colors for a new quilt.



No comments:

Post a Comment