It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Lavendar French Lilacs!!


There is nothing that says SPRING to me quite like lilacs.  I’m not a fan of the color purple normally, but I love lilacs. I grew up in a late 19th century Michigan farm house with heirloom lilac bushes that were huge and overgrown.  The fragrance and color display each year are happy memories etched in my mind.

Lilacs are such a breath of fresh air, literally.   I have to admit, each spring I look forward to lilacs  
more than the forsythia and tulips.  As soon as we moved into our home late fall of 1987 I pleaded with my hubby that we needed to plant lilacs before the snow fell so they’d be ready in the spring.  It would take years to grow the bush to that of my childhood, but that’s okay….you have to start somewhere.  To our surprise, the following spring we were showered with a full show of hearty lilacs, but not from the new bush, but a very large existing bush just off our deck.  How could we not see it was a lilac?!? Apparently I wasn’t very good at identifying plant life because I completely missed it during our property search.  I didn’t see purple, so I guess I didn’t care what the green bush was. 

Today, that bush, and the new one we planted are HUGE!!  New shoots come up each year too. Last 
year the flowers were overloaded top to bottom after rebounding from the prior year’s drought and frost.  Sadly, this year’s flowers are sparse, I think from the extremely long, hard winter we had 
followed by a late spring frost.  Even with that against them, there’s still enough so I can open my 
sliding glass door and smell the fragrance wafting thru the house…at least for a short time.  I wish I could capture it and share with you.  Perhaps someday technology will allow.  But for now, I will cut as many bouquets as I can and enjoy them inside and out.  So consider this me bringing you a bouquet of spring for your home too!  I’m sure there is inspiration for a new quilt or a painting in those colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment