It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Friday, October 30, 2015

Happy (and safe) Halloween!!

Fall is my favorite time of the year, so it stands to reason that Halloween would rank pretty high on the favorite holiday list, especially decorating.  Focusing on the fun side of Halloween brings back loads of wonderful memories growing up. 

Back in the days (nearly) before autos and planes when the world seemed flat, we could actually go door to door trick or treating by ourselves.  We knew everyone, and they knew us, and the world was much more innocent. We never had store bought costumes.  Half the fun was concocting a crazy getup using clothing and trinkets from home.  Granted, they probably needed a bit more explanation than today’s themed costumes purchased from a store.  Again, this creative process was part of the fun.

For me, one big difference between then and now is decorating.  My mom didn’t go into all the ‘stuff’ we have today.  A beautifully carved pumpkin lit on Halloween night and maybe some gourds and cornstalks from our garden would adorn the house.  I have to admit, I enjoy Halloween kitsch, so each year I dig out the box of sparkly figurines and oddly shaped statues reminiscent between Charlie Brown, Edward Scissorhands and Tim Burton, but nothing frightening of course.


So whether you fancy cats or crows, pumpkins or harvest queens, ghosts or spiders or candy corn, hopefully one of these will make you smile. And however you spend October 31, I hope it is safe.  And here is my Halloween pictorial card for you!




















No comments:

Post a Comment