It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 In Review

I’ve been offline with the business of the holidays.  Every December 31 I find it hard to concentrate.  I spend most of the day reflecting on events from the past year.  I think about things that went well, things that didn’t, and outcomes that I’m simply grateful for, and hopes for the New Year.  It’s like 365 days of ADD wrapped into one 24 hour period.

I’m grateful I’m still here…..that most of my family is also.  The hardest thing we endured in 2014 is losing both a sister and brother-in-law tragically in a motorcycle accident June 1.  We feel this loss daily, with a huge hole in our hearts that will never refill.  Our hearts hurt most deeply for their two boys, and their families.  The days since have been especially hard for them.  But we love them and have done whatever possible to help them through, physically and spiritually keeping them close and helping carry their burdened hearts.  Others left us too……a dear friend to liver cancer in February and another in-law to lung cancer in July.  We survived employment loss again this year…..we’re getting too old for this.  And a car accident in November that left us car shopping after Gary’s car was totaled.  Thankfully he was not hurt badly.

On the up side…….we mostly have our health.  My eyes seem to be the next thing on the list failing.  They bother me daily.  I’ve carved out time this year to work on my art, teach quilting classes, to volunteer thru church.  As you read about on this blog I canned for the first time in years, made jams, breads and baklava, grew veggies in a modest contest garden, made homemade butter, basically all the things I’ve wanted to do for a long time…..but didn’t have time for.  My list of hand crafted things I want to learn is still growing, and hopefully I can share them with you in the coming months.  I learned to live on a whole lot less money, which has been most rewarding.  Aaron and Dan surprised me on
my 60th birthday….what fun!  I've enjoyed getting to know him.  We celebrated Aaron's first solo show in October.....very exciting.  I also celebrated my birthday with my oldest and dearest friend Kris……..she’s older by two days.   What a blessing!  And my mother still with us turned 94 this year.....we call her the Everyready Battery Bunny.  Amazing!

A small and determined group of quilters gathered back in May exploring whether a guild could be formed in our area.  I’m very proud that we worked throughout the summer and launched the BIG RED QUILTERS GUILD September 22, with 85 members as of today.  Our goal is to share our love and pass on our knowledge of quilting with each other and future generations.  It’s been very exciting indeed.

The holidays had many moments of fun and laughter.  Thanksgiving brought a new guest to our table…much fun.  Christmas Eve church services with our family and neighbors, board games, lots of food (including caramel corn), face painting……just good old fashion simple fun.  I’ve included some pics. 






The point is…….amidst the tragedy and loss I have much to be thankful for.  Those that are gone would want us to celebrate and enjoy life each and every day, to the fullest.  I will try to do that better, and grumble less.

In closing, I wish you and those you love happiness, health and peace.  Be close in heart.  This is where our riches truly reside.

Signing off for 2014………….

No comments:

Post a Comment