It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Friday, September 26, 2014

YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE, MY ONLY SUNSHINE.........You make me happy when skies are gray

Back in July I posted about the death of family members Sue and Bob in a motorcycle accident.  Since then we helped their boys with estate matters, including getting their home ready to sell.  We spent hours helping clean and whatever they needed, including work the estate sale which was a very difficult thing to do.

I had to keep reminding myself this was no longer their home, it was just a house now, their lives were no longer present.  Going thru their things was very sad and difficult and…..well, simply uncomfortable.  But it had to be done.

I came across a huge bowl filled with happy yellow sunflowers.  Sue was very proud of this, and had paid a good deal of money for it.  Our stitch-n-bitch group loved this centerpiece…..we all had sunflower envy and had many fun conversations about it.  So much in fact our friend Sandy went out and bought one exactly like it.

At our last stitch I was so happy to learn that another sister in law bought this arrangement at the end of estate sale.  I should have, but didn't.  We reminisced about how Sue loved it, how sunny and happy it was, and how they made us think of her.  I went home feeling relieved a stranger didn’t have it; it had stayed with our family.
 
But I also felt sort of sad, that I had missed out on the sunflowers to remind me of her.  Later that day I saw Michaels was having a 50% off sale on all fall stems the following week.  A few days later I stopped in and snapped up enough stems and floral supplies to make my own, using a very large Rowe Salt Glazed Pottery bowl as the base.  It’s not the original, but all the same I’m very pleased how it came out, and most importantly I think of Susie every time I walk by and see those happy leaves of sunshine…. I’m sure she would be proud. 

Here’s to you Sue!

No comments:

Post a Comment