It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Monday, August 4, 2014

Wild Blackberry Pie.....


The wild blackberries are ready to pick, in spite of the unseasonably cool summer we've had.  They aren’t quite as big as years past, but I’m not too concerned.  I have every hope they will make a wonderfully juicy and rich pie.

Summer growing can yield so many happy surprises, especially to someone like me that does not possess a green thumb.  To many, actually to the vast majority of you folks, you’d be thinking….”what’s the big deal?”.   Even the slightest success is reason I celebrate.

So out comes the pie pan, pastry rolling pin, and all the ingredients needed to make a sweet, juicy pie.  A bit of sugar, a little flour for thickening, a dash of cinnamon because it makes everything better, and a squeeze of fresh lemon, tossed with a heaping half gallon of wild blackberries then into the pastry crust.  Top it off with a crumble topping made of oatmeal, brown sugar, butter and flour and pop it into the oven to bake. 

The hard part is always waiting…..waiting nearly the hour for it to bake, then waiting for it to cool which allows the juices to thicken slightly.  But the consensus is…..the wait is always worth it.  Top it off with Country Dairy Grandpa’s Vanilla Ice Cream and you’re sweet tooth is happy and content.  Summer has paid you well.

No comments:

Post a Comment