It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Sweet Dreams!


Dream catcher 101.....

I can’t say I’ve ever been drawn to dream catchers.  That may be because I’ve never inspected them up close, nor have I made one, or really got what they are all about.  Until today, when my crafty pal asked me if I’d like to make one with her.

Hung above the bed, the Ojibwe Indians believe dream catchers change a person’s dreams, that only good dreams would be allowed to filter through. Bad dreams would be caught in the net whereas good dreams pass through and slide down the feathers to the sleeper.  Lakota origins say nightmares pass thru the holes and out the window.  The good dreams are trapped in the web and slide down to the sleeping person.  Either way, good dreams should take over.

Kimi brought the embroidery hoop and some variegated yarn purchased from Joann’s, and enough enthusiasm for both of us.  After doing Google search due diligence we narrowed in on several designs for inspiration.  We pulled a nice range of ribbons, trims, beads and embroidery floss and got started. And most importantly, we selected 5 perfect turkey feathers from the turkey she shot last fall, making the design even more meaningful. 

We had a blast.  She was a natural weaving the yarn tightly around the hoop and the floss into the intricate lace pattern web in the center.  The variegated yarn set the color tone from then on…..blue for the sky, purple for sunrise, white for clouds, all set against the brown and grey earth tones of the feathers.  simply lovely.........sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment