It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Maya Angelou and HOW TO MAKE AN AMERICAN QUILT


Today came with sad news that a most creative and incredible woman has passed away….. MAYA ANGELOU, at 86.  She did it all, poetic command, story-telling, actress, civil rights activist.  She spoke 6 languages.  She was abandoned by her parents, and sexually assaulted by her mother’s boyfriend. She became homeless and a teen mother.  She didn’t speak for 5 years.  Her writing I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS speaks to racism in stark language.  An incredible rich life.  

I don’t believe Maya quilted.  But my vivid imagination allows me to think about the two of us sitting down over a glass of fresh brewed iced tea with a spritz of lemon, and a dash of simple syrup to make it officially ‘sweet tea’, with quilts stretched over our laps.  Thick-rimmed magnifying glasses hang near the ends of our noses, needed to complete the tiniest of stitches.  And we would chat.  Or Maya would chat and I’d listen.  I’d hang on her every word, thought, picking up every scrap of wisdom I could.  We’ve lost a treasure with her passing.

I’m not sure how many acting roles she had, but one scene is in my top 5 favorite movie scenes of all time.  Here's an excerpt from the 1995 movie “How to make an American Quilt”


In the opening scene, the quilt bee is gathered for their weekly get together, everyone welcomes Finn home for the summer to work on her ‘3rd’ thesis, settling in to work on their quilts.

Anna (called the master quilter, played by Maya Angelou in a soft matronly voice) speaking to Finn:

“The challenge with a quilt like this is that each of the blocks are made by a different hand so I have to bring these different squares together in a balanced and harmonious design.  First we have to find a theme, and for this particular quilt the theme is ‘where love resides’”.


Finn (played by Winona Ryder in an attentive and curious voice)

 “So…what you are saying is that by harmonizing all these different elements you’re kind of creating a continuity in the piece’.


Anna (sounding a bit stern)

 “No, what I’m saying is I don’t want to end up with some damn ugly quilt.”


The bee breaks into laughter…..

May all your round robin and group quilts be balanced and harmonious given all the different hands that constructed the blocks.

5 comments:

  1. I don't believe I saw the movie!!!But the book is by Whitney Otto and I remember reading and recommending it when I worked in a bookstore. I think I should pull it off the shelf and read again!

    p.s. love the header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Denice! Yippee!!! I loved this movie. It's a chick flick of course, about a group of friends that have quilted thru the ages, about relationships, tragedy, infidelity, disappointment, lack of direction and lots of snarky remarks! Check it out....I bet you'll enjoy Maya's lines as much as I did. Especially right now as we work on the round robins.......oh boy!!!!

      Delete
  2. Loved that movie! I forgot Maya Angelou was in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally...movie night soon since it's in my DVR.....

      Delete
  3. It's in my DVR....we should plan a movie night soon!!!

    ReplyDelete