It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Friday, May 30, 2014

Quilters, start your engines!

I mean 'start your sewing machines'!  Yes, I watched the Indianapolis 500 last weekend on and off.  I was rooting for Helio since he was a Dancing with the Stars alumni, and the only one I knew.  But I digress......

A few days ago I asked some of my quilting pals what their BUCKET LIST QUILT PROJECT would be.  You know, that one elusive quilt you'd like to complete before......well, you know, before the featherweight is silent and your needles and thread are covered with dust.  It would be your crowning quilt achievement. The idea has been percolating in the inspiration folder in your mind for awhile likely. Perhaps you've not started because it's a daunting project.  Or you have too many other UFOs in queue.  Once finished, it will be that one quilt you'd grab if you had to get out of your house fast, say for a fire or tornado. 

One by one they began to reply, sharing details, some with pictures saved for inspiration.  One common theme began to emerge.....these were not for the faint of heart.  These quilts were going to take time and financial investment.  Most are steeped in a rich historical foundation from the mid 1800's era.  What a great way to honor our quilting ancestors by recreating their designs today!

What ever our skill level or how complicated these are, the next question is 'when?'.  We are not getting any younger and these will take a lot more time so I'm posing this challenge.........lets get started, today.  Just commit to it. Move it from the back burner to the front, drag it out of the proverbial bottom of the fabric stash and get started.  Gradually and incrementally we will get them done, but only if we start.  We can be accountability partners to keep each other moving forward. 

I added your names and the quilt you have in your mind to the project list on the right.  Periodically I'll check in to see if we started, and how we're coming.  Or you can let me know too.  It will be fun to see our progress.....me included!! 

As a jumping off point, my friend Sally shared this hand appliqued Christmas quilt, a block of the month by Pearl Pereira. Sally said this was "good practice" before she starts a Baltimore Album quilt.  What? ......if this is her practice quilt, I can't wait to see the real Baltimore Album!  Go Sally!!!!!!



7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Maybe not even in my lifetime....but I hope so!

      Delete
    3. Maybe not today.......but soon. Your WPA sounds very interesting.

      Delete
  2. Ha, Ha! I hope I live a very long time and with good eyesight so I can finish (or at least start) my bucket list dream?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My comment should have had an exclamation point....not a question mark!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps just thinking about it will add a sense of urgency. Maybe????

      Delete