It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Friday, July 1, 2016

Happy Red, white, but no blue!!

So what is that supposed to mean? Red, white but no blue? Well, we are about to celebrate our national birthday Monday July 4. It's hard to believe we are 240 years old! I have my flags and banners and other patriotic items scattered around the house. This weekend I'll will begin my annual ritual binge watching HBO's historical docu-drama ADAMS. Love it....all 8 hours. John Adams and Thomas Jefferson seem like old friends. Hopefully our democracy will still be in tack come this November.

So why no blue? Well you may remember a post about a year ago where I showed a collection of red fabrics I auditioned for a quilt guild challenge. I showed the white background, the 110 yards of skinny vines I made. I worked on the quilt over a year, all hand appliquéd. Then it went to my long armer Janet H. so she could add her magic. Then I added the binding and label.  This past Monday our guild had all the quilts displayed and a certified quilt judge selected winners in 4 categories, and the members voted for "viewers choice".  So 5 awards total.  So I'm not blue.......I won 2 of the 5 awards. Small art/modern and viewers choice. I have to say the viewers choice is most important to me because it's from my fellow quilters. Not that the judge award isn't nice, it's just different. Anyway.....I entered 4 red and white quilts....here they are:

VIEWERS CHOICE/Large Traditional: title Leaves/825+110+2+42+12

BEST SMALL ART: title Lives Lost

Other Small Traditional: Robby Peter to Pay Paul

Other Small Art: title No More Red!

All the winning quilts together:

My winning quilts:






4 comments:

  1. Wow, Barb! Really beautiful! Congratulations!

    --Laurel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurel! Now that you are "retired" I hope you find time to get back into quilting too. Soooooo many hobbies, so little time. My days are filled with painting, drawing, and quilting. How did we have time to work 60 hours a week?!?!?! Lunch soon???

      Delete
  2. Beautiful!!! But I would expect nothing less of you. congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denice.....wish I would have been able to have them at your event in Lowell. Maybe next year??

      Delete