It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Impressionistic Quilts

This week has been crazy busy, and crazy fun! I attended a day long workshop with 2 time ArtPrize winner Ann Loveless. She taught her "confetti" quilt techniques which she describes as impressionistic in style.

We spent the day rotary cutting fabric into itsy bitsy shards of color, then laying them onto a prepared batting into a composition, then we carefully covered the piece with black tulle. Yes the tulle they use for weddings, only black. Next...we carefully pinned every inch so the tiny bits stayed put. No one dared sneeze until the very last pin was secure. God forbid you turned an overhead fan on!!!

Then we carefully free motion quilted the entire quilt sandwich using clear poly thread, finishing with embroidery threads highlighting our design elements. The whole process was incredible free and fast. (except the pinning part.....tedious and prickly when FMQ).

I'm inspired to do more using this technique, with a few tweaks here and there. Here are the samples so far, excuse the lack of binding yet. That comes next.  Trillium Woods, Daises, Tulips, and Wild Dogwood in the Fog......










3 comments:

  1. barb, this looks fascinating! I know what we can do at retreat in the fall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few from retreat actual did the workshop....I think Lisa, Janet, Vicky, Ann.....Sally didn't though. I'd be happy TP share this. Kelly asked me to create a class to teach. Hmmmm..........

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! I want to do more too but haven't yet. Soon!

    ReplyDelete