It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Sunset and Soup.........................

A few of you have asked why I’ve not blogged lately.  To be honest, I’ve just not been moved to share.  Losing my mom this summer hit me much harder than I expected.  Even though we expected it, and were at peace with her passing, watching her decline significantly over the past ten years, the reality is she’s gone.  It’s final.  No more trips to see her.  So many times I’d have a difficult visit (normal ups and down of dementia/Alzheimer’s) and leave on a sad note.  I’d cry the hour and a half drive home, telling myself it’s okay, because one day you will no longer need to make this trip and you’ll wish you could. Lately is that time…..I wish I could.  But there is no one on the other end anymore.  Even though I lost my mom repeatedly over the many declining years, this one is the last, its real, and it hurts.

I think summers end has helped for some strange reason. The sunlight is changing, the air is crisp, and the leaves are beginning to turn colors.  I’m not necessarily done grieving, but the sting isn’t as hard. Change is part of the process, and heralds a new season.  Life does go on. 

So as the weather changes, it reminds of the season I love best…..fall.  I pulled all my boxes of fall decorations, garlands, pumpkins, Halloween quilts and got busy. I love the colors in my house in the fall…..all warm and cozy.

If you’re like us, fall also says soups.  There’s nothing better than hot soup and fresh bread on a cold day.  I couldn’t wait to make a new recipe; courtesy of my BFF Trisha G... …a group of friends enjoyed her Tortellini Soup, with a salad, a fresh baguette, and wine on her beautiful patio on Lake Michigan complete with a beautiful sunset.  If the truth be told, I believe it was her hubs Dave that made the yummy soup. Here’s the delights of both……………complete with recipe, and my tweaks:

TORTELLINI SOUP

1 lb. spicy Italian sausage (Bob Evans)
2 zucchini, sliced and chopped into quarters (I used 1 zucchini and 1 summer squash)
2 medium onions, chopped
1 8oz package mushrooms, sliced
1 green or red pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. oregano leaves, crushed
1 – 28oz can diced/chopped tomatoes
4 T minced parsley
2 boxes chicken broth (or homemade stock)
1 lb. package of cheese tortellini

Cook sausage, drain, set aside. Cook tortellini according to package, drain and set aside. In a large stock pot or Dutch oven cook the zucchini, onions, mushrooms, pepper, garlic and oregano until tender.  Stir in the sausage.  Add the tomatoes, parsley and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.  Place a serving of tortellini in the bottom of the bowl and top with soup.  Serve topped with fresh ground pepper and grated Parmesan cheese.  Makes 8-10 servings.  Refrigerate leftovers, even better the next day.





No comments:

Post a Comment