It all started with this.....

It all started with an antique quilt given to me by my Uncle Cliff in 1985. It was made by my Great Grandmother using original fabrics spanning from the 1860's to the 1930's, in a string quilt pattern. All strings were hand pieced. All fabrics were loved. I can imagine Grandpa's shirts, or Grandma's housedress or apron. And now I'm the fortunate steward of this wonderful bit of family history........all made by hand.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Open the door!

A few weeks ago I did a post about our entry doors needing a face lift.  The doors came down, I brought them back to their original surface, primed, base coat, under glazed, then artisan (had to throw that in!) hand painted wood grain, finished with two protective top coats.  Easy peasy……mostly.  Once you get a rhythm painting grain, you have to keep moving!  Its art which I suspect is why I didn’t fear it. 

I need to remind you that our house is all wood…. floors, cabinets, interior 6 panel doors, ceilings, all of it.  You have to like wood to live here, which I do…..all western red cedar, oak, and hard maple of it.  Yes, occasionally I’d like to throw paint on all those walls, but then I drink a cup of chamomile tea to calm my frenzy.  Please understand, with western red cedar, oak and maple over time the wood ages so the target we matched is somewhere in the middle of every shade on the spectrophotometer reading.  Sort of like throwing a dart at a bunch of similar wood color chips.  But I must give big kudos to my new BFF’s at REPCO LITE for doing a fabulous job of custom matching the processes for me.  So without much further ado....I must mention the colors match much better than my phone photos reflect......
 
Inside entry door before and after....
 
 
Front entry door before and after.....
 
 
Happy door painting!
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment